If you’re thinking about making any updates or renovations to your rental property before renting it, you’ll want to consider your budget, time, and goals. There are certain repairs that absolutely must be done for safety reasons. Big projects will allow you to attract a pool of renters willing to spend more for certain luxuries. Most upgrades, however, are smaller and serve to bring your property up to today’s market standard and then set it apart, and to help renters feel comfortable knowing that a property has been well maintained.
Must Do Repairs
- Leaking plumbing and fixtures
- Electric hazards
- Roof leaks
- Any other hazards
- Have the entire home professionally cleaned
- Replace broken blinds and torn screens
- Ensure that smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are working
- Improved curb appeal
- Even with virtual tours, it is likely that the exterior of the property is the first impression that prospective renters will have. You want the property to feel welcoming and secure. A well-maintained exterior is an indicator that the inside has been kept up as well. A well-lit exterior and functioning lighting make renters feel safe.
- You need not have professional landscaping, but you should make sure the yard is tidy and free from debris and can place easy to maintain plants around the entry.
- It’s important that all doors, windows, or fences are properly functioning; any peeling paint should be touched up. Depending on the condition of the exterior paint, you may consider repainting to ensure potential renters don’t view the property as in disrepair before even stepping inside.
- Updating the interior look to current trends
- Fresh coat of pain
- New fixtures such as sink faucets
- New appliances
- If renting a furnished property, consider updating the décor
- Increased storage
- Kitchen or bathroom remodel with luxury materials such as granite or quartz counters and vanity tops
- Better counter tops will last longer and resist stains and wear much better than older laminate ones
- Vinyl/laminate, tile, and stone flooring
The types of changes you make to a property depend on a number of factors including the rental market, buyer wants, the current state of the property, and your reasons for making improvements. To learn more about our concierge rental services and discuss the best plan for your rental property, call our office to schedule a private consultation at (808) 593-9826 or email firstname.lastname@example.org